Friday, February 21, 2014

Thoughts on Pregnancy


Where to start this post? I feel like so many things run through my head all the time regarding my pregnancy. Today I want to talk about some "controversial" things that come up all the time when I discuss my plans. I've mentioned before that I'm having a natural childbirth and I can't tell you how tired I am of being scoffed at or hearing something like, "...You're really gonna do that?" Thanks for the support. But people's reactions don't bother me nearly as much as the fact that childbirth is so medicalized in the United States. Women get epidurals before they give birth, no questions asked. What really bothers me is that women don't question what the doctors tell them. That women choose obstetricians over midwives. That women are told how to do something our bodies were designed to do.


We were made for this! Being pregnant is the most natural I've ever felt, regardless of the awful heartburn and constant back pain and random crying. No other mammals receive pain medication to give birth, so why do we? I believe the medical world has achieved many things, but interfering with a woman's natural ability to give birth isn't progress to me. I want to know why mothers choose to get an epidural and why they don't believe in their own strength.


When I found out I was pregnant, I knew the route I would take. But I've done a lot of research (and I think everyone should when it comes to their child's life) and it's hard to keep quiet now. I initially told myself that it wouldn't bother me what other women chose for their birth, and that it was a personal decision. It is, but I also think a lot of women are just misinformed. All I'm suggesting is to do your research. Question things. I question everything- and it's only made me smarter. Why epidurals? Why Pitocin? Why perform an episiotomy? Why vaccinate? Why use formula? These are all very important questions you should ask during your pregnancy.

I'd love to hear thoughts on this!

5 comments:

  1. I agree with a lot of what you're saying, but vaccination is something that is really important.. Vaccination is something that HAS been backed up by a lot of research. I feel that you are being misleading by grouping vaccination with using formula or medicating during childbirth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry if you feel that way! I think that everyone should do their own individual research and decide what course is best for them. In no way is it misleading to suggest that people question their course of action.

      Delete
  2. I do agree with most of what you have posted here except for the fact that vaccination isn't just recommended for the heck of it. It's recommended for the wellbeing of your child and all of the other people around your child for their entire life. Vaccinations for things such as chicken pox are one thing, but vaccinations for polio? Measles? Mumps? These are things that if your child successfully battles, they will deal with the repercussions their entire lives and could spread to other men, women, and children for them to battle as well. I don't want you to think that this is me being a troll or anything like that, I just really want to make sure that you're going into that fully informed and you look at it from all points of view.

    Otherwise, you go girl! Give birth naturally, breast feed! All the power to you! I truly support those, you, and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I feel like a horrible blog friend, I didn't realize you were pregnant! Congratulations! You look beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

.