Thursday, July 10, 2014

Our First Garden


One thing that I don't like about our house is lack of a yard. We had to tear down a forest to build our chicken coop, and then the garden. Since we're surrounded by trees, our house is mostly shaded and doesn't have near enough sun for the majority of plants and vegetables. We cleared out some land that gets about 7 hours of sun a day, built a raised bed, and filled it with organic soil over the course of a few days.

I bought organic seeds, determined to do it the right way, but it just wasn't happening. Everything sprouted, but wasn't growing well and after a heavy rain, they were done for. So we had to get transplants instead. They're not organic, but it's okay. I'm having to be okay with things like that recently. Like I never wanted to give Levi gas drops, but the homeopathic stuff wasn't working. So now he gets gas drops. And I'm convinced we have Monsanto crops... but it's okay.






We're growing cucumbers, squash, zucchini, red bell peppers, and jalapeƱos. Our bell peppers have tiny little buds that showed up yesterday. I hope that animals won't be a problem, as you can see deer prints in the last picture. I'm so excited to see some veggies start sprouting! 

1 comment:

  1. I love how you're gardening with Levi :). I really want to plant my own garden but I have no idea where to start... Plus I'm lazy lol

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

.